Our owner, Mindy, has been feeding her dogs raw food for nearly 40 years. She is often asked why she chose a raw diet. Over the next few months, we will post a series of blogs on our website answering some of these frequently asked questions. Enjoy!
F.A.Q - Why should I feed my pet a raw diet?
The benefits of a raw food diet are pretty basic – more vitamins, more nutrients, better quality food, and the elimination of fillers (in processed animal foods, a filler is an ingredient added to provide dietary fiber, bulk or some other non-nutritive purpose) Many people who feed their dogs a raw food diet will boast about changes to their dog (after switching from dry food to raw). Here are some of the most common benefits:
• A raw food diet for dogs can help to alleviate a variety of health problems including IBS, chronic diarrhea, arthritis, skin conditions, parasites, dog food allergies, ear infections, obesity and more
• It strengthens a dogs' immune function and helps combat over-vaccination and other immunity system issues
• Your dog will have more energy and zest for life
• Eating raw dog food also reduces or eliminates certain 'doggie odors' - eg. odors associated with yeast infections, certain skin conditions and dental problems caused by tartar build up or gingivitis.
• Chewing bones keeps your dog’s teeth clean, strong and tartar free
• The canine digestive system was specifically designed for this type of diet, and your dog will get the maximum nutritional benefit from what he eats
• A benefit that probably means more to you than to him is that your dogs' stools will be less frequent, smaller and far less 'smelly'! ((This allows for quicker potty training too!))
• Your dog likes it!
• It helps maintain a healthy weight, reduces obesity, and allows a more controlled growth rate in puppies/adolescent dogs
• Eating a raw dog food diet can help slow down those 'chow hounds' who practically inhale their kibble, because they actually need to chew these type of meals!
• Studies have indicated that this type of diet actually increases a dogs' lifespan.
After over 40 years of business, Brookline Grooming & Pet Supplies is proud to offer one of the largest selections of Raw Food in New England. Our knowledgeable staff are happy to answer any and all of your questions. Pay us a visit and learn more about your pet’s nutritional needs!